Pour les étudiants francophones : Pour accéder à ce portail de candidature en français, veuillez cliquer sur le bouton qui indique EN dans le coin supérieur droit. Cela vous permettra de changer la langue en français (FR).
New registrations for the AAI are now closed. If you would like to receive an update when we next open applications, please sign up to our mailing list.
The Ashinaga Africa Initiative (AAI) is an international leadership program that cultivates the next generation of leaders to contribute to the development of sub-Saharan Africa.
AAI Scholars have lost one or both parents and are committed to returning to sub-Saharan Africa to initiate change, innovation, and development. The AAI provides access to full financial support to study at university abroad (equivalent to an undergraduate degree), including tuition, room, travel costs and other necessary fees.
In order to apply for the AAI online, you will have to register through this portal. Once registered you will use your account to access and submit your application.
We strongly encourage you to apply online using this portal. However, if this is not possible you can also apply using our paper application form. After downloading and completing your application you will have to send your scanned form and all relevant documents to email@example.com.
Please refer to our FAQ document if you have any questions about the programme or application process: click here. If you cannot find your answer to your question please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
This application process is free, and anyone asking for payment at any stage is doing so against the will of Ashinaga.
The application is open to those who;
- Have lost one or both parents.
- Have completed secondary school and passed national secondary school examination (technical and vocational degrees not accepted) within the last two years (any date after 1st September 2018, including all of 2019 and 2020) or will have completed secondary school and received final exam results before February 28th, 2021.
- Have citizenship and have completed/are completing high school in one of the following countries: Benin, Botswana, Burkina Faso, Burundi, CAR, Cameroon, Chad, Comoros, Côte d’Ivoire, Djibouti, DRC, Ethiopia, Eritrea, Gabon, Ghana, Guinea Conakry, Kenya, Kingdom of eSwatini, Lesotho, Liberia, Madagascar, Malawi, Mali, Mauritania, Mauritius, Namibia, Niger, Nigeria, Republic of Congo, Rwanda, Sénégal, Sierra Leone, Somalia, South Africa, South Sudan, Seychelles, Sudan, Tanzania, The Gambia, Togo, Uganda, Zambia and Zimbabwe.
- Were born after 1st September 1998.
- Do not have the means to attend university abroad without external financial support.
- Are proficient in English or French.
- Are regularly ranked in the top 10% of their class during their last 2 or 3 years of secondary school. Students without strong grades are unlikely to be successful.
- Are able to participate in the two Ashinaga preparatory programs, over the course of one year, before attending university.
- Are committed to return home, or to Sub-Saharan Africa, and contribute to society in Sub-Saharan Africa after graduating from university.
- Have no dependents who could interfere with academic progress.
- Have a good enough health condition to be able to study abroad.
- 19th October 2020 - Application opens
- 19th February 2021 – Deadline to Register for the Program
- 1st March 2021 – Deadline to submit application
- Late March - Shortlisted applicants invited to Ashinaga Assessment (Interview and Exam)
- April 2021 – Ashinaga Assessment conducted during this month
- May 2021 - Selection results announced
- June 2021 - Selected applicants prepare for Study Camp in Uganda or Senegal
- July 2021 - Study Camp Begins
How to Apply
There are two stages to the Ashinaga Africa Initiative application process;
- Registration: all applicant must first confirm the eligibility by registering for the programme. Only students who register for the program and are deemed eligible (based on criteria/eligibility above) will receive the application form.
- Application: all students who register for the programme will receive an email with a link to the application form within 1 month of their registration if they are eligible for the programme.
We strongly recommend registering and applying online.
Documents to Submit
- Copy of national ID card or passport.
- Copy of term reports / high school for your final year of school.
- Copy of final Secondary School Examination Certificate**
**For students receiving their examination results after February 19th 2021 and before February 28th 2021 we will ask you to send your examination certificate if you are invited to submit the application for the program.
- Copy of all term reports / high school transcripts from the last 2 years.
- Copy of final Secondary School Examination Certificate (if you did not submit it with your registration form)
- Copy of academic transcripts / diplomas from university / post-secondary institution, (if applicable).
- Copy of death certificate of deceased parent(s), including the deceased parent’s name, or alternative official documentation proving the death of parent(s) or orphan status.
- Copy of birth certificate of the applicant.
- Copies of certificates for extracurricular activities, training courses, jobs or commitments (if applicable).
- A letter of recommendation from a principal or school teacher. This should be inclusive of their email address, phone number and must contain information about your performance and character whilst at secondary school. All recommendation letters should contain an official signature or stamp.
Note: All documents must be submitted in French or English if possible. Use the Gregorian (Western) calendar to fill in the application.